The Remarkable, Recyclable, Aluminum Panel
- Aluminum can be recycled repeatedly, using only 5% of the energy, and generating 5% of the emissions associated with primary production.
- The metal’s natural aluminum oxide coating provides highly effective protection against degradation from water, salt, air, and temperature variation.
- Two-thirds of the aluminum ever produced is still in use today.
- Aluminum is tough enough to withstand both the rigors of spaceflight and challenging climatic conditions such as those found in the Arctic and seaside environments.
- Aluminum is the third most common element in the Earth’s crust and the most abundantly available metal on Earth.
- One pound of aluminum can replace twice that weight in steel in most applications.
- Aluminum is light, strong, corrosion-resistant, nonmagnetic, and nontoxic.